15 July 2010

Day 2 Japonais

04-July-2010

A little sick in the morning, but I felt better after the shower. At the subway, I bought a day pass ticket for Tokyo (1000 yen). Subways in Tokyo are very easy, as long as you have a map and use your mouth to ask people.

Went first to Sensoji Temple. It was quite beautiful— very crowded. Drew some fortune telling sticks and got the very best fortune! 

People here light up incense and then wave the smoke into themselves for good luck.

I also ran into one of the streets with an ongoing festival. They celebrate the Tanabata Festival or the Star festival.

It was awesome to be around street shows and food. Where did all the foreigners last night at Roppongi go?



Made my way to Ginza—looking for more food. Ate a Soba noodle meal for 450 yen. Yum!

Got lost again but found my way to the famous Harajuku area. Here all the newer generation of Japanese go crazy and dress very liberally. Cosplay type everywhere on the street. Also ate an Ice Cream crepe.. AHHHHHH DELICIOUS!!!!




More after the jump..



Walked down one of my favorite part of Japan, on the way to Meiji Shrine. 



This led to a walk way that was almost 2km long. Very nice and shaded, lots of huge old trees. Very peaceful. 

I witnessed a  Japanese wedding there. Very lucky already from my fortune.

There are these prayer boards. People put up their wishes. Some were very emotional.




Some, by yours truly, were more smart-assed.


After, accidentally ran into a park that I found out later was called Yoyogi Park. (A lot of getting lost in Japan this trip, but all led to great spots)  It's a huge park that Japanese gather here to play football and practice dancing. There were even some greasers group but they look harmless.

I followed a bunch of drummers and found another fair. I couldn't believe it, but it was filled with Japanese Hippies. I saw a free concert that had a duo (Japanese drums and electronic music)  It was awesome.



Bought an Asahi beer to try (500 yen). Walked to the artists and said, "Cucko EEE," it meant "Cool" They laughed and thanked me.


I walked to the station and ate some food. Very filling. Met some girls waiting for a concert. There were about 8000 people waiting in line. They offered me the tickets, I asked if I could sit near them, and they said they are separate seats. I would have gone, but oh well.

I went to Omote-Sando, which was supposed to be the Paris of Japan. Was so tired walking up the subway stairs that I just sat there when I got to it. Talked to an older lady in a Kimono. She told me she speaks, "Japanese only" but we were able to communicate that I play the piano and she's an artist.

I took the subway to Tochomae, and went up a skyscraper that had free access.  Went to floor 84 and had a 360 view of Tokyo. Found my way back to a JR station, I want to redeem my ticket.  Japanese Rail has this pass that work for most of Japan called JR Rail pass. It only sells it to travelers. I found the wrong office but the person gave me the worst map of my life and said it closes in 10 minutes.

This was in Shinjuku, the busiest place so far that I've found in Japan. Running all over the place in the underground mall was not easy, the map sucks and even the locals didn't know where it was. I gave up but kept walking around, but I found it! The security were just closing the gates when I ran in. I was their last customer, again the fortune being lucky!  Got that taken care of.


Went to Akihabara next, this is the biggest electronic store in the whole world. I browsed a little and see how big it was. Got hungry and ate more soba for 450 yen. OISHI! is how you say It's Delicious!  The chef had one of the biggest smiles.

Rode the subway home, I can barely feel my legs. Talked to my CS host, Kyoko. She's very kind. Fell asleep very fast, good night Japan!

1 comment: