06 August 2011

The day I finally get to drive my 1974 Land Rover

Oh you have no idea how excited I was, finally I got to drive my almost 40 year old Land Rover for the first time.


We picked it up around noon, about 3 hours away from Bangkok, long story why it was so far away, but I was so so stoked. I got in the car, thought everything looked great— some cosmetic addition still needed to be made, but I didn't care. I mean this car has some sweet nostalgia and it's pretty classic. I quickly paid the remaining balance to the shop and hopped in the car!

It rode beautifully. It has a lot of power. We drove it on the way back on this cool road. Life was great.....but then...






FOR TEN MINUTES.



The rear tire doesn't look too promising. 
We stopped at a gas station to get some gas. Found out the radiator was leaking, engine overheating, side mirror kinda broken, and I was pretty sad.

Then the tire just went flat. Had to fix that too. What the hell....


We were delayed about two hours getting it all fixed up again. Damn you mechanics.



After a few hours waiting in the hot sun, we were off again. Life was good again.


Then the air conditioning broke....

I took it better this time around though, just pushed my window (notice I didn't say roll it down, because this model is a push thing) and drove right on like air conditioning was never invented (the original didn't have it anyway, eff it.)

It was hot. and it was so crazy to drive that far back going only 40-50 miles and hour to watch the temperature... Oh wait, the temperature gauge wasn't working. That added to the paranoia.

We got it back though without further problems. It was crazy. What a day.


I then met my two couchsurfers from Korea Nate and Min and took them out to eat and a few drinks at Est. 33, a pretty fancy restaurant. I met up with a few friends there. It was a good time. We had some great laughs as well. We came home pretty tired. Looks like we're going on a trip to Ayuttaya tomorrow, which would be great. Promise there will be pictures..


Out for now. My next post will be about asking my friends to name this car, and also a little short poem about it...

Stay tuned.

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment