18 August 2011

To Laos and Back in 7 days— Day 4

11 August 2011 — Day Four

Exploring Luang Prabang
I forgot to mention how dirty our hotel room is.
This is world traveling at its best. 
I woke up and the sun was out so I did laundry. I shower and came out to see the sun gone. Great. My dad was convinced it was the end of the world that my laundry will be mildewy. We figured out a way to hang the clothes on the fan and left it on while we were out for the day. Crisis averted.
The best meal of the whole trip. Hands down. 

During breakfast we discussed about renting motorcycles. I was extra stoked that they would even consider it. I ignored my safe instincts and was really pushing that we get two to go around the city.

One of my friend Lee's favorite vehicles.

A couple bowl of noodles were ordered and we were slurping along. I laughed at something funny the next table said. We sensed the camaraderie. They suggested a few places to do in Luang Prabang, how to avoid the tourists, and made a few jokes with me. We found out a way to get a cheaper boat out to Pak Ou Cave through one of their friends. This meant we skip the motorcycle idea (sigh).


Another River Adventure
Sorry to rock the boat.... but...
Cool bug.
Shortly we were picked up by a Tuk Tuk and off we went to the nearby pier. It was a larger boat than in VangVieng and the captain sat up front to steer. Along the way I saw many groups of little kids jumping into the river naked. What a life they have here!

Actually the cooler part of the caves.


It was pretty bad for a few minutes. But I complained for hours. 
We got to the caves. It was one that held Buddha statuettes that people brought for offering and worship. Unfortunately that was about it. Before we left, I reached my hands into my pocket and got stung badly by something. It flew away but left one of the most painful feeling I've ever gotten from a bug. Swelling followed.
On the way back we stopped at a weaving village, which turned out was just a lot of houses that sold silk things. Lame as well. I did try a shot of Lao whiskey.


Luang Prabang Dogs. 
We came back to town and visited the night market again. My mom bought yet more shit we don't need. We ate food inside this really narrow street. After which I saw two dogs humping near the restaurants. 
This cute guy wasn't one of the humping dogs

The night was young and it was going to be over for us until my dad remembered these night clubs in Laos that people go to to do the traditional Laos line dance. Of course we'd go and see it.


The Touch of a Man
We got there early and nothing was happening yet so we walked around to find something to do. We got into a massage place which was the perfect pastime.

The masseuses here were men. I  haven't been given a body massage by a man in a long time [although not never, that's a different anecdote altogether].

My dad's masseuse wore sunglasses, which was odd, then we found out he was blind, and I'm not sure if that's even odder.

My guy was actually good, and so was my dad's blind man. It was  a legit massage for sure.


Thursday Night Fever
How could this not be the door to amazing dancing Laotians.
Back to the night club, there were tons of people by now and we were happy. The place is tucked away behind a hotel, with a shady and scary walkway to the place. It was my kind of place— full of hidden adventures.

I doubt this is in any Lonely Planet guides. It was such a cool find. 
Everyone inside was dancing in a Laotian line dance style to Thai music. Everyone in Laos actually watch Thai television. It's a bit puzzling sometimes. The vibe from this place was really cool.

Found out my new favorite drink. It's Tonic Water. Also found out later that these drinks had Quinine in it, which was really sensitive to UV light. My drink was really glowing all night.

Mother's day cuteness
It was mother's day the next day, so I made my mom an impromptu flower arrangement from the garden flowers. It had the Pete signature written all over it.
I'm good at impromptu surprise flower arrangements.
I once put birthday candles on an impromptu chicken
but that part of my life is in the past now.

No comments:

Post a Comment