26 May 2011

Where the heck am I?

Today's adventures in Oakland/SF were very exciting.

Lori and I took TaterTot for a walk/hike. It was a very natural hike in the middle of Oakland, who would have thought. Half way through, it rained on us. Luckily, my trusty waterproof jacket saved the day again.

Tastes similar to Dr. Pepper but
with more pronounced orange
The downside to the jacket, however, is that after about 20 minutes of rain, the water repelled from the front of the jacket would be dropped directly onto the front of my pants. Wet jeans are the result. I'm glad to find this out so early in the game.

We then had lunch at a Cuban restaurant. I ordered a surprise and got a steak sandwich and black bean soup. Yum! Also got a Cuban Dr. Pepper called Iron Beer.

I studied a few bus routes to get to downtown San Francisco. It's a bit harder to figure out than the systems they had in Japan. I found my way across the bay though, and after about 30 minutes I was in San Francisco.

I just picked one direction and started walking— that seems that have worked out in my past travels.

I saw a lot of fat pigeons here. I bet the pigeon government body is concerned about the BMI of pigeons living in large cities. I would be concerned. 

I bought a few books from the famous City Lights Bookstore. I shouldn't have because they are heavy, but got a copy of Sidney Lumet's book. Sweet. 

As I wandered endlessly into this city, my calves started giving me a bit of trouble, so it was necessary to stop and enjoy a cup of Cafe Au Lait in the middle of the city square. I couldn't find Wifi anywhere and it was getting a little bit crazy to try to find the Couchsurfing meetup that I was planning to go, but without any use of a map, my sense of direction got me through.

It was too early to go, so I had to eat. I saw this place and couldn't resist...



Tommy's Joynt was a great place, and found out it really is famous in SF. 
I ate a plate of meat (which was another surprise order) and pounded down a glass of irish coffee. 

At the CS meetup I met many people from India, a cute girl from San Jose, an bizzaro world copy of me wearing my wooden glasses working in accounting, a man from Chicago with a sweet beanie and a complete knowledge of French Football, a French man living in Florida, and a local documentary/commercial director. I drank a glass of Sangria, lost track of time, and emerged in great conversations.

By the time I got out to find a bus, it was so late. The streets were populated with bums and I was feeling a bit uncomfortable walking alone with my laptop and some cash in my bag. Luckily another Russian CSer was there to walk with me for a bit. I wish I can remember and pronounce his name. 

I took the BART back across the bay (I think it was the last one for the night) and hopped in a taxi in Oakland, sharing a ride with a drunk bartender stranger. He paid for most of it, which was nice. Apologized to Lori and TaterTot for coming home so late, and sighed a big relief so glad that I made it home in one piece. 


Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment