27 May 2011

Staying in.

My jacket and overnight clothes were packed in my backpack. I was ready to take a bus into SF on a whim because I was bored. I'm glad I didn't tonight. 

The reason was that I got to hang out this guy Chris. We walked to get Mexican food at a hole in a wall place, shared stories about our relationships, and talked about life in general.

After speaking with him for a few minutes, I realized this kid has been through a lot and is special. We watched a few things online but my speakers were way too soft we couldn't hear a thing. We switched gear and held conversations. I drilled him questions about his personal life because I knew he wouldn't be offended. All I got was heartfelt answers about lifestyles, drugs, and everything opposite of my life but same in magnitude. I was always curious about all that. 

He had a story about everything: drug dealing, backstabbing, crazy adventures. He told me LSD, mushrooms, weed, crack, cocaine, heroine stories. He has done pretty much all of that. Now he's a social worker who is trying to help kids stay safe and avoid using those drugs as the only means. 

Aside from my allergies and being bruised and scratched by a very big dog today, my day was filled with adventures and stories. I love it. Being here has been nothing short of amazing. I really enjoy being a part of a real person's life when I travel as oppose to sightseeing. Honestly, if I were to be in Paris for 2 weeks and only spent time doing what my French hosts were doing, I would be in heaven. 

So if a person from San Francisco says acid is the drug everyone should try at least once, and I'm not really here to see the Golden Gate Bridge, I have six days left to explore!

Pete



4 comments:

  1. yeah social workers have the craziest stories, oh and also gym teachers, i once had a gym teacher who was like 80 and back in his 20s he went to a comunity college, took every class and failed it, spend the rest of his time doing drugs and setting up gambling spots at the school, then after his brother got drafted in the war and died (his brother was trying to go off to college and study but got drafted) he took up his brothers identity said he was his brother and finished his college career and eventually got a PHD under his brothers name (this was before computers obviously), you cant make stories like that up, also he was 80 and could kick any of our butts in long distance running :/ it was embarrasing

    - Alberto

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy the experience you're having, but drug is off limit (for me, at least)!!!

    L&C

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't worry, i didn't try any.. at least not yet :)

    ReplyDelete