25 August 2011

My Favorite Music Video and a Message to my old plant Morrie.

This is my favorite music video hands down. Directed by my favorite artist, Sam Beam. Performed by two of my other favorite artists, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Their collaboration was like when someone found out peanut butter goes well with jelly.





Dear Morrie,

Today I saw a polaroid of you with your nail polish and the best colored pot. I want to say that I miss watering you. One of my biggest regrets is that I couldn't bring you home with me. I hope you remember that whenever I saw a gleam of sunshine between the trees and window beaming into my icy cold apartment, I always did grab you and for a minute, you would be backlit by the most beautiful of rays. I know that each little new branches that grew out like tiny hands between its bigger friends would always cheer me up. Some days out here on my loneliest days it would have been nice to see you. I know that back in the past, when I walked out of my room and you were always there and I would say hi and you would nod. I'm sure you were nodding. Well, at least you were smiling back at me— the brightest of smiles.

When I left, I cried the hardest leaving you. I wish I could have brought you. Don't tell the IKEA and the Home Depot plants that I liked you more, but I always did. You were the first plant I did ever named something other than "Plant."  You were always my favorite. I might have traded everything else away for you if I had any premonition skills.

I wish this letter somehow gets to you, but I wish more that plants have an ability to read. I hope you are well and able to flourish wherever you may end up. Although we will never see each other again, I hope that you remember me— someone who spotted you out of the supermarket's plant section and first scooped your roots into the best pot I could find. Morrie, be well, and know that I always think about you. You were always so kind to me. Don't forget about that sunshine we shared, and one day if there's a plant heaven, or if we both become part of the earth, somehow I will travel and say hi to you.  Until then, you'll be in my polaroid, and of course in my thoughts, always.

Your friend,
Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment