15 August 2011

To Laos and Back in 7 days— Day 3

10 August 2011-- Day Three


Muesli Distraction
This morning started with me getting a bowl of Muesli, fruit, and yogurt. It was only because all the places here offered it. It was okay, but I think I was distracted by one of the most beautiful girls a few tables away. I reckon it was her eyes mixed with the improbability of the whole thing.

There wasn't much room in the car. Eleven people in 8 hours in one of these.

Van Driver Confusion
Our bags were all strapped on top of the van and we were off to Luang Prabang. Half an hour out of VangVieng with its beautiful landscape and our windows down, the driver picked up his cell and stopped the vehicle. Quickly he started turning the van around. The passengers were all puzzled.

He had a nice smile, but almost caused mutiny on the van.


I asked him why. He said a few passengers didn't pay for the ride. I questioned the bunch in the back. A couple said they were instructed to pay at the end of the trip. They handed me some money. The driver got out and called the dispatch, still convinced he was jibbed. I asked him to count the money, and he realized they had paid the full amount. "Oh sorry, I didn't count right.," he said, and we were off again.
Ahhh!!! Amazing!!!


The Most Amazing Sights
I know I say this a lot on this trip already, but the view of amazing mountains in the back of endless rice paddies made for an incredible sight. The clouds were low as well and that added to its beauty. The road was better, but better than terrible is still terrible. Our windows were down and the a/c was off. I was extra happy about that.

Our caravan. The girl I had a crush on this morning at breakfast is in one of these, I was too shy to make eye contact.
Driving here reminded me of playing video games. The driver carefully maneuvers around obstacles like road potholes, herds of cows, goats. Chickens and ducks really do cross the roads here in Laos— for whatever reasons..

We almost drove over a family of wild hogs. I'm glad we didn't.

It rained 80% of our trip. The driver drove slow, which was smart. We made a stop for food, and then he made a stop for himself to pick up a package. What a moonlighter.

Once we started climbing the mountains it felt like we never stopped climbing. I saw remnants of mudslides that slid before we were through. Many buses and trucks were broken down on the way up. We were driving in the clouds most of the time. It was so perfect.

Driving in the clouds. 

Living on Little
Rest stops along the way.
On our seven-plus hours drive to Luang Prabang, I was impressed at how much these "poor" people had. The children were just happily playing with their friends in the rain. I saw some helping their parents work. These people don't make much money in a day. They all lived in the most basic of houses. It's cliche moments like these that you think they are living the life. I guess it's the most classic greener grass argument.

Laotian Music
It's just like any other music lyricwise. Lyrics are about hard work, hard life, love goes wrong, love goes perfectly, lovers in pain, cheater, cheatee, love unrequited. I would be lying if I didn't say one of the songs really matched my feelings and situations. The outside view was too distracting for that emotion to fully develop, thankfully.


Welcome to Luang Prabang
I checked my email (unwillingly.. forced by my parents) but good thing we got words from my sister that she's safe. Julia also emailed me, that was a good surprise. Also work-wise, I got an offer to bid for a Korean Girl Band music video (hot babes!!) We'll see if I can win the bid this time. It would be fun.

Phra Tat Phu See
Phra Tat Phu See Sunset
The sunset not soon forgotten.

We walked up 300+ steps to the Phra Tat Phu See despite my reservations with dad's knees. We got to see a nice sunset even though it's been cloudy all week. I chatted with a lovely girl from Hawaii. Spoke with a woman from Madrid in my basic Spanish then we all walked down to check out the Talad Mued Night Market.
I loved this street sign, with Laotian clothing twist.

We stopped for crepes and fresh squeezed orange juice.
The night market has lost some of its charms in the past years, but still was cool to visit.
Let's fly instead
Because it was such a difficult drive for my parents, we discussed flying back to Vientiane instead of driving. We decided that we would splurge and come up with 700,000 Kip each person to fly back. (60 bucks).

At dinner I tried Tonic water for the first time. I've always enjoyed Gin and Tonic but never knew what tonic water was. I was in love!!!
My mom attempting a Korean face. 

Before bed I did more laundry and came up with a sweet system to get it dried during the night with my fan. Tomorrow we'll have a full day to explore Luang Prabang. So far it's been such an adventurous trip.




 Pete













No comments:

Post a Comment