11 July 2011

European films, reflections on movie theaters, chill out dinner.


My last post was pretty popular. I got a lot of feedback both in the comment and personally from my friends. Thank you all again.  If you haven't read, do it!

For Sunday's adventures....

I woke up early and headed into town today to catch the European Union Film Festival at the Bangkok Arts and Cultural Center.

I was prepared to watch films after films, all European gems.

When I sat in the auditorium with the little projector being prepared for the films, I reflected upon the idea of a movie theater. It's a really weird gathering place of people from all walks of life, with a shared goal of watching the feature presentation. However, no one really talks to each other, before the movie starts and during the hour to two hours we all sit there, in the dark. Even people who come together rarely speak to each other.

When I say all walks of life, I really meant it today. I saw a poofy hair girl, a bookworm reading a huge novel in terrible lighting with her head completely dug into the book, a woman who prances around the room trying to strike up a conversation with everyone, everyone else who stares at her, an old Japanese man reading manga, a lonely-looking bob-haired girl staring blankly straight waiting for the film to start, a woman who picked the worst possible seat, and me.

In Thailand before each movie we play a little song/ video to pay respect to the King. This particular recording is an orchestral rendition of the song. There is something magical about listening to a cello line played from a bad recording via terrible speakers. I was quite moved from it.

I saw a Polish film called Magic Tree and a Danish film The Escape. I'll write about these later as part of my wrap up with the festival.

Met up with these people who were there, named Elyson (Singaporean) and Stephanie (Frankfurtian). We decided to get a late lunch instead of watching another film. Ate at a Thai restaurant named SeeFah. Yum! We also ran into a little competition, where teams are dancing imitating Japanese pop music.

I don't really know how to explain this.
We met up with May and had some dessert. Walked around the Siam shopping area awhile. I bought another Thich Naht Hanh's book named Being Peace.  I lent it to May so she can read it first, I have a lot more reading to do for the time being.

We met with May's friends, May (another one), Mee, and Tam. They are all great people to talk to. The new May I met is a big film buff, I had a lot of time picking my brains with her.

I picked up this girl named Jacqueline from Virginia City, Nevada. Her host in Bangkok had cancelled last minute and I wanted to help her out. It was such a crazy time trying to find her among the crowd, it was pouring rain and she didn't have a cell phone (borrowed a taxi driver's cell to call me). She got along with my friends great and we all had a great time at dinner.

These two lovely ladies were not part of our group, although I
secretly wanted the left one to be, she had some beautiful eyes.
The restaurant was cool. It had Northeastern Thai food. (Ee-Saan food) and the walls were decorated with art work and post it notes from past customers.

We all ate a ton, enjoyed each other company, sang songs that came on the radio and talked a lot about films. Made a few new friends today. It was a long day, really long actually.

Came home and found out that Jackie is also a fan of This American Life's Ira Glass. We were both thrilled to be NPR fans. I showed her my Carl Kasell's recording and she was blown away. I told her how deeply I hugged the man and she wasn't creeped out. I love talking about NPR. Love it.

I realize when I'm not busy, I become a bit introspective.  I keep going back and forth between decisions, doubting the decisions I've already made. In particular I'm kinda writing an email in my head, reluctantly, and indecisively trying to see if I should type it up and hit the send button. I'll remain vague about this one, at least for now.

Cheers, or as the Germans say, Prost!
Pete

Left to Right: May, Elyson, Me, May#2, Mee, and Jackie. The other asian guy kinda looks like me, I'll save you the tease.






2 comments:

  1. Oh boy.. U r such a great poetry.. Very good storyteller ;") good film director always have different perspective of life with other people living in the exact same moment.. U r surely one of them ka nice meeting you na ka
    xoxo,
    "mee", a lady from ur story ;")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words kub P' Mee+.

    I sure hope so.

    Very nice meeting you too.

    Pup

    ReplyDelete