01 July 2011

Eucalyptus soap, lovely Robert, uke, and Gottschalk

My eucalyptus soap is awesome-- just thought you should know that it smells nice, bubbles well, and doesn't leave me oily afterwards.

I met such a lovely man named Robert. He's one of the big bosses at one of our suppliers. He's done a lifetime of travel, both for business and pleasure. We talked about his travels, my plans to travel, hitchhiking, and books. I always love talking to older people. They are indispensable with their experience in life. He recommended me Paul Theroux for his traveling journals. It took me awhile to find him online because I didn't know how to spell his last name. Must be tough to be a writer and share the name with Henry David.

He made sure I know that it was a good plan for me to be doing the round the world trip, also implying that kids my generation don't do enough meaningful things anymore. Who cares if it takes me 2 years to do it— it'll still cost less than a Master's degree + room and board.



I got my ukelele back from my sister's friend and started playing that again. I realize sometimes I get a repulsive feeling towards an object that reminds me of a bad experience. However, the moment I forget  for one second and remember why I enjoyed it in the first place, I easily welcome it back into my life. You know I've always wanted to play guitar but I can never get the strumming right and my left wrist can't take all the bending because of an accident years ago. Now I don't really care for the guitar. I don't care how good anyone look with a guitar, because no one will ever look as cute as I am with my ukelele.

Played some Neutral Milk Hotel. Started to realize why I like some bands I do. I like singers and songs that are very emotionally powerful, so much so that the singer usually can't handle it and look like they are struggling through the song, but they hold on, and get through it. That's why I like a lot of Glen Hansard  music. He really looks like each song is physically overwhelming when he sings, but yet he never loses a pitch.

Also back into my life, at least for now, is the piano. I started playing Gottschalk's Ojos Criollos, as pictured here.

It's a cool piece and I'm good at it. Those are the only reasons I needed to get back into playing.



Also getting an iphone soon and will be exercising Chase Jarvis' "The best camera is the one that's with you" theory. Maybe you'll see more pictures again soon.

Pete

2 comments:

  1. Go for it, Pup! No matter how the trip is going to turn out, at the end you will be glad you did it!

    ReplyDelete